Dorothy brings a powerful combination of communications credentials as a former national award winning ABC News editor and New York communications/journalism university professor to improve the patterns and flow of communications within an organization for increased productivity and employee satisfaction.
She combines her communications expertise with industry skills, leveraging the Executive and Organizational Coaching Advanced Certification from Columbia University; grounded in the science of adult performance. She works with leaders and teams using feedback processes and on-the-job action learning to strengthen self-management, interpersonal effectiveness, team cohesiveness and leadership impact.
Coaching Value Proposition:
Effective communications continues to be the most important predictor for leadership and team success, as reported in The Harvard Business Review.
Dorothy believes leaders need to be skilled presenters and communicators with an ability to translate complex situations into readily understood explanations. High-functioning teams need effective interpersonal styles in order to tap into diverse learning and thinking preferences of team members. Dorothy combines her communications background with a variety of psychometric tools in order to customize and design the most effective coaching plan for the client.
Psychometric Tools Certifications:
- The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator.
- The Hogan Suite of Tools.
- The Birkman Method.
- The Suite of WholeBrain Creativity.
- The Emotional Intelligence Quotient Inventory and EQ-360.
Representative Coaching Engagements:
- Executive Coach for Head of US Sales at a global financial institution. Engagement included using multiple feedback processes (cognitive, emotional intelligence, and organizational) to implement strategies and goals for strengthening communication skills, leadership effectiveness, and building support team after substantial restructuring and turnover.
- Executive/Organizational Coach for College Vice President and The Division of Student Affairs at Medgar Evers College/City University of New York. Partnering with vice president to strengthen leadership skills using upfront assessments and 360 to facilitate self-insight on strengths and development areas. Then designing objectives and action plans around organizational vision, leadership presence and improved communications. Provided organizational coaching for team of ten department heads using informational interviews, individual and team assessments, and facilitating staff development workshops for improving team cohesiveness.
- Just-in-time customized coaching engagements with executives to enhance their communications and leadership presence by improving writing and presenting skills with practice as well as watching voice and body language using video playback.
- Executive/Organizational Coach for The Department of The Black Male Empowerment Center at Medgar Evers College/CUNY. Coaching director to enhance leadership skills using assessments, 360, and shadowing techniques, as well as coaching direct reports and team members, offering individual and team assessments and leading staff development workshops. An objective of the center was to increase student engagement. After coaching engagement student participation increased by 150%.
- Executive Coach for newly appointed vice president and interim CIO for a New York City College, developing comprehensive plan around scope of work and new title as well as salary and benefits package.
She offers individual and group coaching sessions in person, on the phone, or using Skype.
Dorothy is also a certified Master Career Coach with The Five O’Clock Club,
a national career consulting firm with a successful methodology for career transition or beginning a new one. Besides career coaching individual clients, she leads a weekly phone group coaching clients throughout the U.S. helping to identify job targets, proper positioning, writing a resume and cover letter that results in interviews, along with how to strategically negotiate salary.
You can find her bio on their website: http://www.fiveoclockclub.com/